What To Look For In A Great Hiking Boot
Choosing the right boots for your hiking adventures can be a tough task. To help you make the best choice, we’ll discuss what it is that a great pair of hiking boots needs to have.
As much as hiking can be a ton of fun, it can also be rather exhausting. Rigorous walks put a lot of pressure on your feet and can cause quite some issues if you don’t have the proper equipment. For that reason, a good pair of hiking boots is essential to making sure your feet stay protected.
The only problem is, the number of choices is dizzying, so finding the right boots can take quite some time and research. There are many factors to take under consideration, which might lead to you feeling paralysing by all that information.
To help you avoid spending hours looking for the perfect boots, let’s talk about everything you need to look for in the right ones.
Types of Hiking Boots
Hiking boots come in many different styles. Each one of them is suitable for a certain type of hiking, so you need to make sure to know where you’re going first. Here are the most common types of hiking boots:
- Light hiking boots – Many people refer to these boots as ‘hiking shoes’ because they’re just a bit sturdier than regular walking shoes. They are great for day hiking on surfaces that are not too rough. Many people also use them for long-distance hiking, since they’re very light and won’t weigh you down.
- Backpacking boots - As the name says, these shoes are perfect for long backpacking adventures. They come in a variety of styles, and the one you go with will primarily depend on the type of terrain. They’re usually very stiff, in order to make sure you can conquer rough trails.
- Mountaineering boots – These boots are usually heavy-duty, sturdy, and strong. If you plan on hiking on rocky terrain, or slippery surfaces, this type may the best for you. Since they’re usually not as flexible as the other types, make sure to walk a bit in them before you wear them on a hike to avoid blisters.
Hiking Boot Material
There’s a wide variety of materials used in hiking boots for women and hiking boots for men. Leather seems to be the most popular choice since it usually offers flexibility, as well as protection from different elements. The best materials for hiking boots are:
- Split-grain leather – Boots made out of split-grain leather are very lightweight and comfortable. They offer great breathability and are suitable for light hiking in dry areas since they usually don’t offer much protection.
- Full-grain leather – These boots offer great protection from water and abrasion, and are often very durable. For this reason, many hikers use them for long-distance hiking in rough terrain.
- Nubuck leather – This is a type of reinforced full-grain leather that offers maximum protection in any condition. They’re somewhat flexible, but require you to break them in a bit before you go for a hike.
- Synthetics – Aside from leather, synthetics are another popular material for hiking boots. Boots made out of synthetics are very lightweight and flexible, and usually more affordable than leather.
- Rubber – Rubber boots can also be a great option since a lot of them offer protection from water and are lightweight at the same time. They’re made for a variety of uses, so they can adapt to your needs.
Boot Cut and Fit
There are three options to choose from when it comes to the cut of hiking boots: low, mid and high. As a general rule, the more demanding the hike is, the higher the cut of the boots should be. This is because higher cuts allow for additional stability and protection. So depending on the terrain and weather conditions, certain cut is better than the others.
Another very important thing is to choose the right fit for your boots. The only way you can ensure that your hiking boots fit properly is by trying them on. If you choose the wrong fit, you may expose yourself to all kinds of dangers, from blisters to major injuries. This is why you should always make sure that your boots fit comfortably, and that they offer enough support and protection.
The Final Word
Now that you have all the information you need about these boots, the only thing you have to do is think about the type of hiking you’re doing, and find the ones that match your needs.
Here at Tentworld, we want to make sure that every hiker has the right equipment. This is why we offer a variety of hiking boots for you to choose from. If you wish to know more visit Australias largest independently owned camping store to explore the options.